I am a youngish middle aged still growing up fitness fanatic with a rural background who has lived in Canberra for over 25 years and who loves the place. Interests include loud music, rugby league, books, distance running, beer with mates and doing half-arsed pushups on the oval. Very happy living where I am, feeding wild birds and large goldfish (when the birds aren’t eating them).
I specialise in humourous cartooning and illustrating and have had comic strips, illustrations and posters published in numerous newspapers, magazines, books and for organisations both locally and nationally.
With extensive experience in community and youth work, my business focuses particularly towards community involvement and supporting the Canberra region through my Quick Draw Program.
The Quick Draw Program involves speed drawing and humour through art therapy based workshop programs which are facilitated throughout the ACT including:
- Weekly programs for Woden Hospital Adult Mental Health Unit (AMHU) and 2N ward at Calvary Hospital.
- Mental Health programs such as PATH workshops for Woden Community Service and Richmond Fellowship Personal Helpers and Mentoring Service (PHAMS) teams
- Partnerships with the Youth Coalition in Youth Week and “Politics and Pizza” forum
- The “Cottage” term style workshops
- St Vincent De Paul weekly and monthly program
- Schools including The Woden special School & other disability programs
- Other schools and colleges around the ACT
- Other community organisation programs in mental health health support, conventional cartooning workshops and staff goal setting, including Belconnen Coommunity Service, North Side Community Services and PCYC
- Juvenile Justice programs including outreach programs to Quamby and Bimberi detention centres
- ACT & NSW Library services including an online schools cartoon program with Riverina Regional Library Services
- Various ACT Gov departments
I also facilitate various cartooning workshops for Canberra’s Heritage Sector and beyond, including:
- The Museum Of Australian Democracy (MOAD) At Old Parliament House (“Behind The Lines” exhibition)
- The National Museum Of Australia
- The Australian War Memorial
- The National Botanic Gardens
- Delivering a workshop on “How to Connect With An Audience Using Humour” through Interpretation Australia to work places around the country (Sydney)
Other Info Of Interest
- Sunday comic strip contributions (“Bubs the Country Bumpkin”) to The Canberra Times and various other newspapers around Australia
- Contributions to Australian MAD magazine
- A weekly website “Victor the Viking” cartoon depicting the mighty Canberra Raiders rugby league icon
- National rugby league (NRL) comic strips of varying topics and clubs which is current and ongoing
- Numerous young age children’s comic strips for local community promotions including the ACT bushfire recovery campaign
- Numerous other “one off” comic strips for community and government organisations, including information books and brochures
- Includes educational and community awareness books which have been released around Australia
- Children’s book illustrating and writing
- Educational cartoons and picture cards used in disability life skill programs in the ACT
- Many community information illustrations for numerous organisations both locally and nationally.
- Specialising in activity style posters which have been released in schools, colleges and for community events around Australia by various government and private organisations.
- Contributions for numerous community awareness programs for local government which have been published in newspapers and magazines locally and nationally.